»

Monday, January 26, 2009

Fishing - it’s not for sissies


Yesterday Greg had the opportunity to go deep sea fishing with his Dad off the coast of Titusville. They caught some big fish, had fun and were exhausted when they arrived back last night.

Upon talking with Greg today, these are some of the things he told me about their trip.

“I never realized how easy it is to lose a fish once it was hooked.”

“Reeling in that big fish was hard work. I had to stay focused and keep going. It put up a good fight.”

“I never knew how exhausting fishing could be.”

Also, as I was sitting talking with Greg I saw a few ‘boo boos’ on his hands where and occasional hook had scraped him and even a bruise on his arm from holding the rod so tightly during a big catch. As I began to ponder all that Greg was telling me, God used it as a moment to care for and encourage my heart.

I have always been familiar with Jesus using the metaphor of fishing for people instead of fish, however today I think I experienced it a bit deeper. Having never done much fishing, and none in the ocean, I never really realized the challenges it could have. As I thought back about the statements Greg had shared this is what I felt God saying.

“I never realized how easy it is to lose a fish once it was hooked.”
-Keep pursing the heart of the teenagers I have called you to care for. Some will ‘swim away’ after a time, but you never know when they may be caught again in the future.

“Reeling in that big fish was hard work. I had to stay focused and keep going. It put up a good fight.”
-Keep working hard and teaching my truth.  Keep focused on me and wait to see the few ‘big fish’ that you do catch.

“I never knew how exhausting fishing could be.”

-I will use the difficult and hard times to strengthen you and these teenagers. At times you will be exhausted and may want to give up, but keep going. I will provide you joy and refreshment in the end.

Mark 1:17 Come, follow me," Jesus said, "and I will make you fishers of men.

0 comments: